I first discovered the cello suites by accident, exploring new works by Bach in middle school after falling in love with his harpsichord concertos. Within my freshman English class, my teacher eventually struck up a conversation with me about Yo-Yo Ma's rendition and how he liked listening to the album on cassette tape while on an exercise bike. I'd just been exploring the suites and I remember finding someone else who so enjoyed them was a real treat.
Since high school I have colllected a number of favorite recordings, and among dances of the first suite, the opening Prelude and concluding Gigue are my favorites.
Performers in this episode include:
- Yo-Yo Ma (1983 CBS Masterworks)
- Yo-Yo Ma (2018 Sony Classical)
- Kuniko (2017 Linn Records)
- Bruno Cocset (2002 Alpha)
- Pieter Wispelwey (2012 Evil Penguin Records)
- Paolo Pandolfo (2004 Glossa)